Bethany McCamish is the founder of Bethany Works, a brand strategy business that helps business owners identify their unique brand personality and leverage it. She also runs a financial independence blog called His and Her FI Post.
Bethany sat down with Kathleen Celmins, CEO and co-founder of Amplified NOW, an expert video marketing company that focuses on helping business owners get their message out. They discussed ways that using social media video platforms such as TikTok or Instagram Reels can help people get more comfortable on video for use in their businesses.
Bethany knows from experience how important video can be as part of a brand strategy, but when it came time to use it in her own business she was a little nervous. As a photographer, graphic designer, and copywriter, Bethany is used to being the behind-the-scenes creator rather than the face in front of the camera.
Bethany decided to ease into video by starting with TikTok. She found that having access to music and the easy inspiration of watching other creator’s content helped her find her voice and style without the added pressure.
Before using video on her Bethany Works social media pages, she decided to test it out on her smaller side business, His and Her FI Post. This allowed her to decide what worked and what didn’t when it came to social media video before putting it in front of a larger audience.
Here are some of the ways that Bethany found social media to be helpful to feel comfortable on video and helping her grow her business:
- Social media videos tend to get good engagement. She found that on TikTok she could get 500 or more views in an hour as compared to just a few on YouTube. Getting engagement and feedback on her videos inspired her to keep creating.
- Making videos for TikTok or Reels is fun! Bethany found herself able to relax and have fun on camera instead of feeling like she needed to be serious or rehearsed. Enjoying herself made it easier to push through any discomfort she felt about being on camera.
- Social media lets you build a community. You can find pretty much every group, niche, or topic you could hope for on social media. This allowed Bethany to connect with like-minded designers and establish some authority in her field.
- Social media videos help others discover you. Creating videos for social media gets Bethany’s business and ideas in front of more people than just using a blog or YouTube would. There are many people who may have never found her otherwise that she is now reaching thanks to TikTok and Instagram Reels.
- This video format can easily be repurposed. Bethany is able to make one video and use it on multiple social media platforms, making sure her content is viewed by as many people as possible without extra effort on her part.
Micro Content like Instagram Reels and TikTok seems to be the future of social media. It’s a fun, quick, and efficient way to get your message out, show your personality, and connect with like-minded business owners. It’s also easy to repurpose across platforms, which saves you time and effort. We recommend giving it a shot. If nothing else, it will help you get more comfortable on video which you can translate into leveraging video in other ways for your business.
Find out more about Bethany and her business on her website Bethany Works.
We’d love to hear what’s working in video for you and your business! Click here to get in touch with us and be featured the blog.